Friday, September 28, 2012

Descending Night Repair: Take 1

 Adolf Alexander Weinman was a german born artist who move to American in 1880; he lived from 1870 to 1852. For the Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1915 in San-Francisco, he sculpted two pieces "Descending Night" and "Rising Day"(cast in bronze). Both personifications of part of the day. Descending Night gracefully landing, representing the last moment of sun light at the day transforms to night. Her toes extending at her feet grasp at the ground as she lands and her wings push down about to envelope her. Her brother Rising Day (or Sun) is standing chest out, on the tips of his toes, ready to take flight with arms and wings extended. Something about him gives the air of Icarus, maybe not intended by the artist as he was the personification of a new day, a new beginning. 





This has to be my personal favorite sculpture, as much as I do love "Transformation of Daphne" which is a masterpiece without any need of defense.  Something about "Descending Night" touches a part of my heart and causes me to consider her my favorite. I was introduced to the sculpture after writing a piece about her in an essay for American Art History. After finishing that piece I quickly search for a miniature to purchase. I succeeded but due to a dreadful habit of mine, I was careless and broke her. At the time I didn't think it was possible to fix her but didn't have the heart to throw her away. After taking an internship which taught my key skills in repairing objects broken like her, I began my repair. 










Unfortunately, all but her legs kept and I needed to take my drastic measures to keep her from braking at the knees.  My solution will be revealed in Take 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment