Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Junk: Part 1

During my time at college I worked on a number of projects that I didn't finish or were just for a moment fun. On Facebook I commonly would post a "will draw anything" status and my friends would throw ideas at me. Many times the most random things one could possible think of. Currently, I have a number I still need to finish for my Facebook friends but here is a look back on some of the drawing junk laying around my lab top's hard drive.


Iggy the piggy in his Santa hat looking joyful for Christmas. This my cartoon character, I've animated him and even made comics about him. He happens to be the first character I ever draw in comic panels. Mostly, he gets himself into trouble with hair brain schemes or just a bad attitude which leads to negative  repercussions do to his actions.  This illustration was for Abstract Ink's Holiday cards. 

As I stated before Iggy is was the first character I've ever drawn in a comic. This isn't the first comic he appeared in but this was my first published piece. It may only have appear in the Farmingdale Rambler, and that is nothing to write home about but it's still was printed and more then just my friends saw it. Looking back on this one, I see a few things I would fix but other then that I still love my first Iggy the piggy published comic. 

This was one of two t-shirt designs I submitted to the art club. During that semester I had so much work on my plate that it was hard for me to do anything extra. So, I took an old sketch I did and converted into a vector in Illustrator. I actively tried not to sell this t-shirt, when people asked me which one I worked on I said this one but then suggested for them to buy a different design. My pride for this design was 0. Some people did like it, but in the long run that doesn't matter, I felt like I didn't give me best effort so I took it out on the piece. 

This one was my second design which I never finished due to the time and assignment I had due that semester. In hindsight I didn't like it came out that bad but I still has an unfinished feel to it. Maybe in the next few months I might take an re-do this piece and have a post on the making and improving of.


During my last semester at Farmingdale, I was the vice-president of my schools HVZ club. I appointed myself as lead graphic designer and made the logo for the club. Here is a few example of flies I made for the events and even the logo for the webpage. My goal for that was to make it seems like we took over the campus. Looking back on this why don't have have this in my portfolio. 


This was one of those facebook memes, make an random album cover by picking up random stuff from a few websites. Like the title says this is junk I did. 

Here is the start of my Facebook status commission. This purple image was a request for a bad ass chick, so I drew my character Alex. 
Someone asked me to draw an Angel, they didn't know anything about Doctor Who, I knew this so I drew a weeping angel anyway. 

Guess who this guy is? 

My friend Calvin just asked me to draw a picture of himself. 

This request was from a friend who wanted me to draw a picture of Hank and Dean Venture dressed up as Booster Gold and Blue Beetle. Being a huge fan of the show,  I knew Hank would never draw as anyone but the BAT. 

Guy with a sword fighting a robot with a rocket on a monster truck with chainsaws tapped to the doors. 
Guy with a sword fighting a robot with a rocket on a monster truck with chainsaws tapped to the doors. 

Booster gold dressed in a Matrix jacket. 

My friend know I'm a fan of Booster Gold so I sometimes get number of request involving the character. This was one of my favorites because I sometimes wish the character would deck Hal Jordan. 

Here was just a simple request for a few zombies. Noticing a pattern in the subject matter of my work? 





I wanted to get just the right cell phone bathroom mirror photograph. Everyone else was taking them and as an art student it was a challenge just to get the right bad photography. I put the image though a number of photoshop filters to get the right pixelated blurry goodness. 

Another failed contest submission of mine; this was for the Icon t-shirt contest. This is another piece now in hindsight I could do so much better now. 

This was my first junk post for old sketch or unhappy work I've done. I will in the next upcoming weeks have a new set of Facebook Status Sketches. 








No comments:

Post a Comment