Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Senior Project: Part 2 Unpublished Book


Senior Project
04/5/11
Questions

Describe the first time you became aware of different typefaces. 

The first time that I became aware of different typefaces was when I first started working on a computer. Around the Christmas of 98 when my family bought our first computer and I was able to use programs with different typefaces. I remember writing silly stories and trying to find the perfect font that fit with the genre of my tale. I was a horrible typographer and had no sense for type. Even in high school as I worked in photoshop to make posters for events at my campus, I wish I knew what I knew now about typography. After learning indesign and looking though Communication Arts I can see what could be done with typefaces and words. That words can be just as beautiful as the things that they are used to describe. It wasn’t till Typography II when I really became aware of type as an art form. 

Describe the first time you became aware of “graphic designers”.

The first time I became aware of Graphic Designers is when I started paying attention to different graphic artists. When I started reading Manga in high school I started realizing books where done my the same artist and that showed in the art work. I began to notice this in other works how similar they are in the style or use of type and color in book covers and advertisements. In some cases I could tell who worked on what simply by the feels of the artist illustrations. When I started taking my second year classes at Farmingdale I begin to realize that everything was designed and to watch Tv just for the commercials. When I did that I would critique the advertisement, then check Communication Arts to see if they where featured as best ads of that year.   

What is it that made you want to be a graphic designer?

Ever since I was little I always was drawn to art, I even made a point of drawing everyday just in the hope that one day I could be a good artist. I remember sitting in my first grade class after being asked what I wanted to be when I grew up and I said animator. As I grew older I enjoined any chance I had to be creative and collected books I found inspiring. When I was little my mother used to read me stories, many of them had beautiful illustrations. By middle school I discovered Manga and Japanese animation which love for was fueled by the animations when my early childhood like Batman and Superman the animated series. When I entered High School I began to take more and more Art classes from Studio Art to 3D Animation. When I entered my senior year I researched different colleges and careers I could be trained in and realized the best career would be Graphic Designer with the interests I had. I never really told myself I want to be a graphic designer but the most I work I realized how I wish to work in this field. 

Name the graphic designer that most influences you and explain why.

I can’t say which single graphic designer influenced me nor can I say which single artist sparked my interest in this field. I can say that after learning about Mucha I realized how much of a muse he has been on my thinking when it comes to design today. Bruce Timm was an big childhood inspiration when it came to animation, Superman and Batman the animated series made me want to become an animator along with many other animations I enjoyed through out my childhood.

What type of design work have other told you are most successful with? Why do you think this is? 

Illustration is the type that most have told me that I am successful at, I haven’t incorporated it in to much of my work in school but in my sketch books the designs. The reason that I think this might be is because I try to draw as much as I can and I draw a lot of cartoon characters. I also read a massive amount of comics from american to the far east, while still watching cartoons. I watch less for entertainment but for inspirations and to critique whether I feels they are well done and good for children. 

What type of design work would you like to do when you graduate? Describe the style as well as why you chosen this field.

I would love to work as Illustrator after I graduate, my dream job would be working for a major comic book company in some form, either as a inker or penciler. The type of job I expect to get when I graduate is working for a design company and working my way into maybe as a free lance graphic designer.  

How do you think your work compares to others students in the program and professional designers? 

Most of the time I feel like the kid in the group, the novice that one who is still learning but one step behind everyone else. I know I have the potential to make work that is finished and professional looking but I feel as if sometimes I don’t fully reach that full spotential. 

No comments:

Post a Comment